Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Whole Enchilada... And Tacos... And Burritos...

I’ve been meaning to rave about my new favorite restaurant for quite some, but have only just now gotten around to it. I highly recommend that you head my recommendation and hurry over to Amigos Cantina in Kirkwood, Missouri. In case you haven't figured it out from the name, they serve as close to authentic Mexican cuisine as I've ever had. No Tex Mex food here...

Last night, I had dinner there with my friend, Tom. We got there around 6ish and had a 30 or so minute wait ahead of us. Hannah, the hostess, recognized me – even without Barry. I know I’m the biggest dork ever, but it is so awesome to have a little hole in the wall restaurant where people who work there know who you are. And while a wait that long means it’s no longer a hole in the wall, it is just fabulous walking into a place and feeling right at home.

Now the long wait was new, but I was thrilled for them. And while I knew it would be well worth the wait for me, but I only hoped that Tom would be satisfied with the food after having to wait so long. I was actually nervous because I had hyped it up so much.

While we were waiting, my friend Barb came over to give me a hug. Her husband, Robert, is the chef who came up with the delicious menu and is the brainchild for this awesome space. I used to work with Barb at a spa and miss her immensely. She truly is one of my favorite people. It was a fabulous surprise to see her, although it wasn’t completely unexpected.

While I was at the spa, I had heard all about the time, energy and money they were putting into the restaurant. I have to say that the inside looks amazing. All dark wood and glass windows with amazing authentic Mexican decorations... very intimate and welcoming, all at the same time.

Now, when the restaurant had an open house of sorts for friends and family, I brought a 'restaurant warming' gift. So if you see a handmade clay wreath about six inches in diameter, you can thank me. and let me know where it is. I haven't seen it hung up yet.

But meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Tom had always gotten an earful during my days at the spa, so he was able to keep up with most of the gossip that Barb and I exchanged. But Barb’s children were itching to move on so with a promise to call, she went on her merry way. Soon after, Robert wandered outside, where Tom and I were anxiously waiting to be retrieved, to say his hellos. He was absolutely BEAMING when I asked if the restaurant was meeting his expectations or exceeding them.

Out of my handful of visits to Amigos, I have tried something new each time. Puffed tacos. Chicken sandwich. Chicken burrito. Nothing has disappointed. But since I like what I’ve tried, I want it again. Yet I force myself to keep trying new dishes so I can tell people how good they are.

Oh, and the margaritas are to die for. If you like margaritas, you will LOVE theirs.

I opted to try the Tilapia fish tacos and while they did not disappoint, I agree with Tom… fish doesn’t really belong in a taco. Live and learn – and definitely try it. It was divine, but I think I’ll keep trying new dishes.

And yes, Tom liked it. He’s already planning on trying the nachos the next time we go.

After we finished eating dinner, we cut across a parking lot and ended up at The Custard Station. In all the years we’ve been eating dinner in my neck of the woods, we have never once stopped at the cute little frozen custard stand.

That will now change.

I must say, the Peanut Butter Cup ‘cement’ that I tried was the tastiest frozen dessert that I have had in a long time, if not ever. It was whipped and light and just wonderful. But after the filling meal at Amigos, I think I’ll get the mini size next time. I’m not really a believer that too much of a good thing is bad, but being too full from really good food makes it a little less appreciated.

We sat in a little park behind the frozen custard stand by the train tracks and just talked and watched the world go by. In a time when there doesn’t always seem to be enough hours in the day, it was a pleasure to just kick back and ‘be.’ We were also amazed at how many people flocked to the little building. I mean, it was like a festival of frozen custard with all the people sitting around and watching children run and dance and watch the trains roll past. People had dogs with them. People rode their bikes over. It was so cool – pun intended – to see how the neighborhood just descended on the place.

But then the bugs drove us back to the car and we ended our lazy Saturday night roaming the stacks at the Borders in Sunset Hills. I picked up the latest of Laurell K Hamilton’s in paperback, The Harlequin.

I swear, I am addicted to her books. I resisted reading them for so long, but on a whim one day, I picked up the first in her Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series… and was instantly hooked. Dammit! I read, like, 13 of her books in a row, I was so smitten. The books are a quick read and filled with beautiful characters who live here in St. Louis, who just happen to be undead. Good times.

Tom bought a book in the same vein (please excuse the pun). I can’t remember the name of it, but it was about zombies. Vampires and zombies. Awesome way to close a Saturday night.

Actually, reading the latest Hamilton and eating some of that custard would have been even better. I was just too full to even contemplate it at the time. But maybe tonight...

No comments: