Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Crosshatch On The Wall

I meant to post Friday night and sometime yesterday, but time got away from me. Just means a double post today – or so I hope.

Friday was the completion of my first week and as the CEO said, the first week in the many years of service to come.

As part of my training, I had to attend a class outside of work dealing with child sexual abuse. I work in a faith-based organization and anybody who knows me finds that just as amusing as I do. Not to say that I don’t believe in God and all that, but I’ve been moving farther and farther away from organized religion. I feel enough guilt over every single action in my life that I don’t need other people to add to it. And that’s my viewpoint on religion – other people make me feel bad over my actions, not God. If I’m sorry for something I’ve done, God forgives me. Enough said.

But this class was two and a half hours long and on my own time. I gladly went – and found it quite insightful – but I never want to sit through it again. Kinda like ‘Saving Private Ryan’ and ‘Schindler’s List.’ I feel that I’m a better person for having seen them. I’m just trying to figure out how child abuse factors into my job. But I probably don’t want to.

To celebrate one week down, Barry and I went and saw ‘Iron Man’ Friday night. Was kind of spur of the moment. And rather than regale you with superlatives of the movie that everyone else has already spewed, I will tell you that I’m now crushing on Robert Downey Jr. Big time.

Sadly, this made me realize that I’m not all that discriminate in my crushes. Not that he isn’t a beautiful man, but I watch a movie or television show and I’m pretty much easily smitten. Although I do tend to be loyal.

Right now, here’s my Top Ten List, in no particular order:

1) Christopher Meloni
2) Benecio del Toro
3) Joaquin Phoenix
4) Gerard Butler
5) Jeffery Dean Morgan
6) David Tennent
7) Jack Davenport
8) Kevin Smith
9) Hugh Laurie
10) Robert Downey Jr.

Okay, maybe I'm not so loyal because half of the list has been added in the past five or so years. And these are only actors. Don't get me going about other types of crushes. Like rock stars and the like.

But it was a nice way to kick off the movie summer season.

All of my friends are cinemaphiles, but there aren’t too many movies that I’m waiting with baited breath to see. Hellboy is at the top. LOVE that movie. Don’t know why. The plot was a little weak, but the dialogue was fast and witty and sarcastic. Love it when sarcasm is done well. And it rocks in Hellboy. Plus, those washboard abs? Is it possible to crush on a non-human comic book character?

And, of course, Indiana Jones. I have mixed feelings about the movie. ‘The Last Crusade’ is one of my most favoritest movies ever. I just don’t know if revisiting after all this time is a good idea. But you can bet your bottom dollar that I’ll see it in the theater. Probably several times.

As it is, right now I’m watching ‘The Last Crusade’ – in all its editing glory – on TV. I just can’t get enough of it. But watching the movie, and writing this post, ain’t getting the chores done. And since I’m still getting used to the work week schedule, they won’t get done during the week.

Here’s hoping your week is excellent. Here’s hoping mine is, too.

No comments: