Thursday, May 22, 2008

Splitting Hairs...

I TOTALLY rock short hair!

Today I chopped my hair and I love it. I must admit that I was apprehensive about it when I was sitting in the chair for the first half of the cut, but as I was able to see how it was beginning to come together I began to get excited. I know some women get emotionally attached to their hair, but it’s never been that way with me. Hair grows. Hair changes. Hair evolves. But a vast difference is always a little scary.

And so mine has morphed into a very Kiera Knightley-esque cut a la the movie Domino.

I decided to cut my hair because my friend M had to buzz hers. I won’t get into the details behind the need because it’s not my tale to tell, but to say that her life is complicated is like saying that I’m busty… it’s such a vast understatement.

But M is going through her complexities with aplomb and humor. We were friends before this latest chapter of her life, good friends, but I really hope she knows that although I think what’s happening sucks worse than anything could suck, I am grateful that it brought us closer together. I just can’t wait ‘til it’s over and we can get back to having fun.

But until then, she completely owns the pixie look.

Because M had to cut her hair, I felt compelled to shed some of my length. It’s not as short as M’s, but it is way shorter than it was before. Her hair was freakishly long – okay, gross exaggeration… but not by much – and while she may not have been emotionally attached to it, having to cut your hair versus wanting to cut your hair can be very traumatic.

I had to cut my hair in November. Eight inches. I was pissed. But M’s situation is not because the people at her work – a spa – decided that growing hair out for Locks of Love was not a flattering look. Her reasons are much less shallow and much more about… battle.

So I chose to cut my hair to support her. Out of everything I could do for her, this is the most visual. And the easiest. And since it was my choice to support in this manner, I am thrilled to lop my locks. I kinda even thought it would be shorter, but the way it is now makes me so very happy.

Plus, I think it makes my cheekbones look amazing.

M is not overly fond of her shorn look, but I think it makes her look impish and makes her eyes sparkle. She’s tired a lot, so the twinkle is not constant. However, whenever there’s a gleam, now you can really see it. And while not continuous, they are frequent. Hence, the impishness…

Yes, M is a fierce warrior, if also a weary one. I am proud of her and love her very much. She knows that. But I hope she sees her new ‘do as empowerment. The hair will grow back. But until then, I hope she embraces how kick ass she looks… and kicks some ass.

I just hope she knows that there’s an army of friends behind her. I, for one, am glad to help her fight any fight she needs fought. I just somehow think that she’d do it all on her own if we weren’t behind her.

But at least we’ll be sportin’ some rockin’ ‘dos in the meantime.

1 comment:

N Crowley said...

"Army of friends..." "Warrior" You are so very right.

Awesome post about our friend M. Thank you.

Nan