Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Short and the Long of It...

Last night I decided to get some things done that had been on my list for quite some time, but never near the top. I went to Kohls and bought some shorts. I have not bought new shorts in many years and have not actually worn any for the past year or two because I didn’t have any that fit.

Like most women, I hate shopping for pants, jeans, shorts. I am not the size I once was and the reality of it always hits home in dressing rooms. They are so depressing that I’m not sure why I don’t even hear cries of anguish or cursing of anger. I think it’s because we all blame the lighting. There’s no way we could look as bad as we do in the dressing rooms if it wasn’t for the lighting.

But, for some reason, I’ve had the best luck at Kohls.

I used to always buy at Marshalls and TJ Maxx, but they are so hit and miss that some days I’d make out like a bandit and other days I’d walk out so thoroughly frustrated that I swore I’d never go back. It got to the point where I was comparing it to a bad relationship.

So I cut ties with those stores for basic needs, putting them into the category of shoes and household items only, and moved on to Old Navy. It worked for a while, but either the store is sliding into a much younger direction or I’m sliding into a much older direction. I’m going with Old Navy moving away from me rather than the other way around.

I can’t really remember the epiphany I had over Kohls, but it was rather recent. I suppose it’s the residual effects of the Advil PM I took last night to sleep. However, in less than 30 minutes I walked out with four pairs of shorts. On sale, no less!

So then I hit the Goodwill by my house looking for more work tops. I really love the faux sweater/button down shirt combos that came out last fall because they’re dressy and comfy. My problem, which isn’t really a problem since it’s self-inflicted, is that I have tattoos on my upper arms and want to cover them for work. I know in the summertime I’ll hate the tops, but my department is generally kept pretty cool and I’ll only have to worry about the walk to the car and from the car. I hope.

I struck out at Goodwill. Bleh.

Off to get a pedicure!

I must admit that leaving the spa had some perks that I sorely miss. I got used to trading for a massage by doing the service provider a favor. Or getting my brows done for free because the esthetician had some free time and was bored. But a pedicure was something I rarely did. Namely, because it was one of the few services the spa offered that I could actually do myself with some proficiency.

But since it was evening, and I always use more coats than I probably need, I decided to go to a professional so that they would be dry by bedtime. Which I was hoping would be very early last night.

Now, I went to the place I used to get my nails done at when I used to do acrylics. It’s funny to think I used to be that person, but my mind is slowly moving back to that place. However, my nails are in better condition than they have ever been and I’d be a fool to mess with them at this point.

But the place had changed. It’s about half the size it used to be and very few of them spoke any English. And that was one of the reason that I used to go there – great conversations. Ah well. For a $20 pedi, I suppose I can’t complain too much. I mean, no one talked to me, there was no music or television to distract me from the fact that I could give no input into my pedicure, but it did look good when all was said and done. And the price was a far cry from what I was paying at the spa when I worked there.

I just need to remember to bring a friend next time to talk to. It was a very lonely 45 minutes, but my toes look damn good, if I do say so myself. A nice sparkly blue to go with my red flip flops that I plan on wearing to the Cardinals game next Wednesday.

And speaking of the great American pastime, have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. But please take a moment to remember the meaning of the day. All those men and women who died in combat so that we might have the freedoms that we do, deserve just a few moments of our time.

No comments: