Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Child's Play and Working the Bugs Out

So yesterday was the first day of the rest of my life.

Well, that might be overstating things a bit, but my first day on the job left me completely fulfilled… and completely overwhelmed.

The job makes me nervous. There’s a high level of responsibility and a high level of confidentiality. While I know I can do the job, the level of detail involved makes me a little worried. I drop the ball on something, there’s consequences. Big consequences.

In the past, I was a spa coordinator at a local high-end spa which meant a large amount of booking appointments via the telephone, of which I generally I felt tethered to the d*mn thing. Going to the bathroom when I was on phone duty was an exercise in futility most times. Had to ask permission from the front desk, as I was in a windowless room in the back of the building… because being as far away from the front desk as possible made sense. But there were times when the front desk was too busy to answer the phones, so I couldn’t go.

A thirty-something woman should not have to ask permission to go potty.

And yes, that is one of the things that makes me happy at this new job. Wandering away from my desk at will.

But so does the fact that I’ll be able to utilize my skills for the first time in a very, very long time. I was completely underutilized at the spa.

Considering the amount of stress I’ve been under in trying to acclimate to my new surroundings, the past few days have gotten progressively better for me…

Saturday kinda sucked. I had turned down an offer to go a Derby party because I had already made plans. I’m not the biggest fan of horse racing any more. As a child, I loved horses, so wanting to be a jockey was a natural desire when I was ten. Then puberty hit and I grew up… and out. There was no way I was going to make weight and have the short stature to give the horse an edge.

That morning, I was also offered a ticket the baseball game, which I also turned down. Good thing I did, too. The Cubs spanked my Cards. Although, if I had been there I might have been able to save them by my sheer presence. Mind over matter to get those pitches to go where they should. Isn’t that how it works?

But my plans fell through. And yes, I was pretty torqued. My friend had double booked and didn’t let me know until early-afternoon on Saturday. Too late for me to get in on the other offers. So my Saturday night consisted of me refabricking two bar stools and eating an ice cream drumstick. All in all, I’ve had worse nights, but it was so not what I had planned.

But Sunday was much better. I got to hang out with Jason and his two children in a local park by their house. It was a blast, but reminded me that I need to get into better shape if I want to keep up with kids. But getting to be “Aunt” Jeanne and “Uncle” Barry was totally fabulous. Getting the unconditional (or maybe it’s conditional, since we give them great gifts) love from a four-year-old and two-year-old is the most amazing feeling when they hug and kiss you. And call your name to come over and play.

Now, as great as the park was, afterwards came the coup de resistance… Wendy’s!

Love me my Wendy’s. And since the closest restaurants are at least 30 minutes away, Barry and I made the most out of its proximity to Jason’s house. I almost wanted to stockpile a few days worth of burgers, but I was afraid that some of the flavor would get lost in the reheating…

Maybe everything on Saturday happened for a reason. I certainly have appreciated how yesterday and today have turned out. I might not be as appreciative if my weekend was completely awesome. I seem to be on a wave of momentum of bigger and better things. I can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings.

No comments: