Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Spanked!

Regardless of how you felt going into the primaries, of how you felt going to the polls today, you have to admit that what we witnessed tonight is nothing short of amazing. I still have chills. Tears of joy have been spilled. Bruises pepper my arms as I sat with awe and disbelief that the American people rose up as a whole (338 electoral votes versus 156 as of this writing) to accept a man who many never thought would be elected, regardless of his abilities.

Regardless of the fact that he's half white.

It's the other half that was the stumbling block.

Who would have thought that a... gasp!... black man could become the leader of the greatest land in the world?

Well, I did, but that's beside the point.

I knew that my fellow Americans were smart enough. However, prejudice still permeates that fabric of our lives. These past months it occurred to me more than once that there are citizens -- many of them -- that saw lynchings. It wasn't that long ago. So I thought that we might get close, but miss the mark.

However, as each day of the election ticked away closer to November 4th, I hoped -- prayed -- that my fellow Americans would make the right, not white, choice.

And they did.

Finally, a candidate that is judged not by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character.

Well done.

Welcome to a new America. Lead by President Obama, 44th President of the United States of America. The UNITED States of America.

So glad to be here.

No comments: